AlphaTauri’s new AT03 has run on track for the first time ahead of the 2022 Formula 1 season.Pierre Gasly and Yuki Tsunoda.
“The new car is really different,” said Gasly after his first run in the car built to F1’s new regulations for the upcoming season. “I have to say the first feeling driving it was quite good, even if the track was wet and therefore slippery.”
He said there is “lots still to be discovered” about the all-new design ahead of the start of pre-season testing at the Circuit de Catalunya tomorrow. “We will have a lot of work to do to maximize the six days of testing available to us before we get to the first race in Bahrain.”
AlphaTauri’s first impression of their new car was “very positive”, said team principal Franz Tost. “Hopefully the on-track battles will be much closer, for Formula 1 – as for any kind of sport – it’s very important that many competitors are able to win races.
“I think F1 is going into the right direction with the new regulations and the cost cap. I think we have a promising package but now we have to wait and see how we compare once all cars take to the track at pre-season testing.”
Pictures: 2022 AlphaTauri AT03 on track
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2022 F1 season
- Aston Martin fined $450,000 for F1 budget cap violation
- Red Bull fined $7 million and lose development time for 2021 budget cap breach
- Hamilton: F1 ‘might as well not have a cost cap if the penalty is a slap on the wrist’
- Red Bull need penalty that “really hurts them” if they exceeded budget cap – Bottas
- F1 mustn’t let post-season budget cap rows become a regular occurrence