Aston Martin’s new AMR22 has run on track for the first time ahead of the 2022 Formula 1 season.
Race drivers Sebastian Vettel and Lance Stroll drove the car in a shakedown test at Silverstone, near the team’s base. The car was launched yesterday.
“What we wanted to do was shake down as early as possible to check the systems out on the car and give us some time between the shakedown and the Barcelona test,” explained the team’s technical director Andrew Green.
“Because the car is absolutely brand new with no carry-over at all and pre-season testing is really short and the second test is so close to the first race, it’s going to be almost impossible to react to.
“So we thought it’s good to get a shakedown in prior to the first test, give ourselves a gap between the shakedown and the first test. That’s where we came to begin with the shakedown date. And it just made sense to launch the day before – the car was effectively ready so that was the logic behind it.”
Pictures: 2022 Aston Martin AMR22 on track
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2022 F1 season
- Red Bull Racing spent £230m during Verstappen’s title-winning 2021 campaign
- ‘I can’t box?’: Hamilton and Verstappen’s 2021 Abu Dhabi GP radio transcript
- Abu Dhabi’s legacy one year on: How the controversial 2021 finale changed F1
- The case for changing F1’s penalty points system as Gasly nears ban
- Aston Martin fined $450,000 for F1 budget cap violation