Sergio Perez was impressed by Lando Norris’s clean driving in their final-lap fight in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
“Into turn 11 he dived and I came from behind, right around the outside,” he said. “That was a pretty good move.
“Also great for him because, although he’s very young, it’s always good to race with drivers when you know it’s going to be very close. It was very aggressive, but always fair and not making stupid mistakes.”
Perez was fortunate to complete the first lap unscathed after his team mate Lance Stroll knocked Pierre Gasly into the back of his car at turn one.
“It didn’t start very well,” said Perez. “I got a big hit from Gasly into turn one. But then I managed to recover.
“I lost a position to [Kevin] Magnussen, which make me lose a lot of track time in the first part of the race. Then we managed to recover that.
“We were patient. We let the front runners pit and then we had to push to come back close to the midfield group. And we managed to do a very strong second half of the race.”
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’