Sergio Perez has been given a penalty point in addition to his five-second time penalty for passing cars by going off the track at turn three.
“Although Perez followed the procedure in the race director’s notes, he clearly gained positions when he re-joined the track at turn five and retained this advantage,” the stewards noted.
“The Stewards reviewed whether Perez was forced off, and determined that this was not the case. Gaining an advantage is a breach of the regulations and of the race director’s instructions (Point 10.6) which states that even if you follow the procedure you may only re-join the track without gaining a lasting advantage.”
Perez now has a total of four penalty points on his licence.
This article will be updated.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’