When RaceFans asked Leclerc whether he had been told about the penalty, Binotto interjected: “We didn’t. It has been a mistake from our side.
“I think we were very busy on the pit wall and simply we forgot. We should have done it but we didn’t.”
However Leclerc said he wouldn’t have driven any differently if he had known about Vettel’s situation.
“I was pushing very hard to catch up. I saw they were fighting, I saw they were close at least. I saw also that we were quite quick and we were catching up so I was just pushing very hard so if anything happened I had the opportunity to be as close as possible to do so. So no, it wouldn’t have changed my approach.”
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’