Nico Hulkenberg will leave Force India at the end of 2016, the team has confirmed.
— Nico Hülkenberg (@HulkHulkenberg) October 14, 2016
“Everybody at Sahara Force India wishes Nico well as he embarks upon a different path in Formula One,” said team co-owner Vijay Mallya.
“Having spent five years with us, Nico has become a great friend and contributed a huge amount to the team’s success. He’s an outstanding driver, who has scored more points for this team than anybody else.”
“While it’s true we will miss Nico, we respect his decision to explore fresh opportunities and it would be wrong to stand in his way.”
The team said Hulkenberg will “pursue other opportunities within Formula One”.
He is expected to announce a move to Renault for 2017. Hulkenberg hinted at the move with a post on social media earlier today.
Hulkenberg’s departure from the team leaves them with a vacancy alongside Sergio Perez for next year.
See the updated list of 2017 F1 drivers and teams
2017 F1 season
- Stripping Verstappen of 2017 US podium was “one of the toughest decisions” – steward
- Sepang pays Haas compensation for Grosjean’s 2017 crash
- Williams revenues rose in 2017 after Bottas deal with Mercedes
- New kerbs at COTA in response to Verstappen’s corner-cutting
- Australian Grand Prix cost government £56 million last year