Williams has hired long-time McLaren tester Gary Paffett to be its new simulator driver.
Paffett, who races for Mercedes in the DTM, will work with the team’s vehicle science department to develop the new FW38 chassis.
The 2005 DTM champion has covered over 22,000 kilometres as a Formula One test driver.
Deputy team principal Claire Williams described Paffett as “a highly professional racing driver”. “His level of testing knowledge, and ability to analyse data, will significantly help to drive forward development of the FW38 throughout the season,” she added.
2016 F1 season
- Are tickets too dear? Crowds fell at some tracks in 2016
- F1’s TV audience decline stopped in 2016
- Brawn among key F1 hires announced by Liberty
- Has F1 hit ‘peak penalties’? Fewer sanctions in 2016
- Brundle reveals Monaco GP heart attack