Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene said it was the team’s fault Sebastian Vettel failed to reach Q2 in today’s qualifying session.
Vettel missed the cut to progress beyond Q1 by one hundredth of a second after he backed out of a run at the end of the session.
“A huge mistake on our side made it impossible for Seb to progress beyond Q1,” admitted Arrivabene after qualifying.
Vettel was keen to put the error behind him. “You can spend a lot of time speaking about what we did wrong, but in the end we know, so now we need to move forward.”
There was “nothing wrong with the car”, he confirmed, “we thought that the lap I had on the soft tyres was quick enough, but in the end it was not. There was also a car in front which shouldn’t have been there.”
“So we misjudged the situation, a small mistake with big consequence, but the race is tomorrow and lots can happen”
2015 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Top ten pictures from the 2015 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- 2015 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix team radio transcript
- Vote for your 2015 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Driver of the Weekend
- Mercedes raise the bar with record-smashing 2015 season
- Rosberg denies Hamilton a winning end to his championship year