Team principals have supported the FIA’s decision to prevent future drivers from using Jules Bianchi’s race number 17.
The FIA announced on Monday it would retire number 17 which Bianchi chose to use from the beginning of 2014 after his original three options were unavailable.
Graeme Lowden of Bianchi’s former team said the decision was “a difficult one because it’s so personal to different people”.
“I’m extremely biased on this subject: My view is if it helps Jules’ family in any way at all, then I’m in support of it,” he said. “I think anything else is secondary.”
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner also backed the decision. “I think the only thing you have to remember is last year numbers were introduced as being allocated to drivers, the drivers selected the number they raced with for their career,” he said. “So you can understand the FIA’s decision as this was the number that Jules obviously chose that meant something to him, for retiring that number.”
“Perhaps in time, if the Bianchi family want that number to reappear, it would be appropriate to ask them, or if a driver wants to use that number, for that driver to approach that family in future years to come.”
2015 F1 season
- How a secret Mercedes engine mode helped pressure Vettel into a race-ending puncture
- Over 100 driver penalties issued in record-breaking 2015
- Part-time racer? The facts of Hamilton’s ‘jet-set lifestyle’
- A unique atmosphere: Going to the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- The Complete F1 Fanatic 2015 season review