Nico Rosberg says his seating position in Mercedes’ new W06 is to blame for the back problems he has experienced in the car.
Rosberg completed the equivalent of a race distance in testing at the Circuit de Catalunya this morning but sat out the rest of the day’s running as a precaution to ensure he can complete a full day’s work in the car on Sunday.
“My back has been a bit of an issue but I know what it was,” said Rosberg after team mate Lewis Hamilton completed today’s test for Mercedes.
“My position in the car was not quite right but I’ve been lucky with it really and it should be fine for a full day on Sunday. I’m just being a bit cautious and decided to get out of the car at lunch today.”
Although last year’s champions have not headed the times on any of the first six test days, Rosberg says they have not explored the ultimate performance of the W06 yet.
“At the moment we’re just focusing on getting the miles done and working on set-up,” he said.
“Of course, I want to go out and do qualifying laps all the time – but there’s a right time for everything. We don’t know where we are yet but things are going to plan. The development curve is still very steep.”
2015 F1 season
- How a secret Mercedes engine mode helped pressure Vettel into a race-ending puncture
- Over 100 driver penalties issued in record-breaking 2015
- Part-time racer? The facts of Hamilton’s ‘jet-set lifestyle’
- A unique atmosphere: Going to the Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- The Complete F1 Fanatic 2015 season review