Sebastian Vettel will use his sixth different power unit at this weekend’s United States Grand Prix, the FIA has confirmed.
Consequently the stewards have announced Vettel will start Sunday’s race from the pits. He is the first driver to do so under new rules introduced this year.
Red Bull will change Vettel’s internal combustion engine (ICE), turbocharger, energy store, control electrics, MGU-K and MGU-H, putting him on the sixth example of each.
Vettel is the fourth driver to use a sixth power unit component, joining Pastor Maldonado and the two Toro Rosso drivers, all of which also use Renault engines.
Nico Hulkenberg, Sergio Perez and Esteban Gutierrez will also become the last drivers to use a fifth internal combustion engine this weekend.
2014 United States Grand Prix
- Another close Driver of the Weekend win for Hamilton
- F1 back on form with popular COTA race
- 2014 United States Grand Prix team radio transcript
- 2014 United States Grand Prix fans’ video gallery
- Top ten pictures from the 2014 United States GP
Image © Red Bull/Getty