Pedro de la Rosa will return to F1 with HRT in 2012, the team has confirmed.
He will join the team on a two-year contract starting in January.
De la Rosa made his last start in Montreal for Sauber as a substitute for Sergio Perez. He also drove for the team in 2010 before being replaced by Nick Heidfeld mid-way through the season.
He returned to his testing role at McLaren at the beginning of this year.
“This is a very important step in my sporting career and one of the most meditated ones I?óÔéĽÔäóve taken,” said de la Rosa.
“I?óÔéĽÔäóm at a very good stage in terms of maturity and am prepared to take on this challenge, which motivates me hugely.
“When deciding on joining this project, for me there were three decisive factors: my desire to return to the active competition, the fact that HRT is a Spanish team and getting to know the people leading this project, Luis Perez-Sala being amongst them. I?óÔéĽÔäóm here to work hard, with modesty and humility, accepting where we are now but keeping in mind where we want to be in two years’ time.
“For me, this is the time to put into practice everything that I have learnt over the years at international top level racing teams so that we can grow together. I am proud that Spain has an F1 team and that I have this opportunity to be its driver. I can only show my gratitude towards HRT for having trusted in me for this.
“Lastly, I can?óÔéĽÔäót forget to thank McLaren for allowing me to take this step. I have been very happy over the eight seasons I spent with them, growing as a driver and person. Without them I wouldn?óÔéĽÔäót be here today.”
HRT team principal Colin Kolles said: “Apart from being a great person he is an experienced driver as his career and prestige in Formula 1 prove. I give him my most sincere welcome.
“I am sure that he will adapt perfectly and that together we will achieve great things.”
More information on the 2012 F1 season.
2012 F1 season
- Hulkenberg’s missed win should have been “high point” for Force India
- Kubica reveals he almost withdrew from fateful 2011 rally – and had 2012 Ferrari F1 deal
- 2012 F1 season Blu-Ray “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- 2012 F1 season DVD “Victorious Vettel” reviewed
- New team radio reveals Vettel’s penalty protests
- The complete F1 Fanatic 2012 season review
- What F1 Fanatics thought of 2012: The year in polls
- The drivers and cars of 2012
- F1 Fanatic’s 50 article highlights of 2012
- 11 different Driver of the Weekend winners in 2012
Browse all 2012 F1 season articles